The Q&A Archives: My Grass is Brown in Spots & Spreading

Question: My St. Augustine Grass loses color,it seems like it is spreading, only in the front yard. I have fertilize with summer fertilizer, but it is getting worse. What is the best way to green it up. Do I need to check the soil & how do I do that? What tpye of treatment or fertilizer I can use to help my grass

Answer: Brown patch is a fungal disease that begins in a small area and spreads in a circular pattern. The pattern resembles a balloon being filled with air?it gets larger and larger. Ordinary corn meal is the universal organic anti fungal agent. It is also a great organic fertilizer. If you already have fungus, apply it at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. You can get agricultural grade corn meal in bulk at feed stores for about $5 for a 50 pound sack. Corn meal works by attracting a beneficial fungus that works like a disease on the fungus that's killing your grass.