The Q&A Archives: Blight on fruit tree

Question: I have recently purchased a house (last summer) and we had a sickly full-size apricot tree in the front. Post-winter examination reveals what appears to be blight. While it is only on about 1/3 of the branches - there is 2-3 spots on the lower main trunk below the branches. Being that I have planted other fruit trees about 150ft away-should I just cut this down or is there some way to save it?

Answer: Blight is a pretty broad term so I don't know exactly how you came to your diagnosis. But in general terms, diseases that affect stone fruits such as apricots, peaches and plums will not affect pome fruits (apples, pears, etc.) A more complete diagnosis would help us direct you as to control/treatment options for your apricot tree. Good luck with your orchard!