The Q&A Archives: Lighting for Greenhouse

Question: I am trying to start an inside greenhouse (in my garage). What kind of light or wattage do I need? My garage is 20x20 and I want greenhouse to be @ 8x10. What kind of light or wattage do I need? THANKS ~jill~

Answer: Since you have room for a seed starting area in your garage, you can put together a rather sophisticated system. You'll need a bench and at least 2 fluorescent shoplight fixtures (more if you have lots of seed starting trays). The fluorescent fixtures should have two bulbs each, about 40 watts, and should be hung so you can move them up or down on chains or ropes. Keep the lights only 2 inches above the seedlings, moving them up as the seedlings grow. If the light source is too far away from the seedlings they will reach up and become leggy. Keep the lights on 14-16 hours a day and turn them off at night. You should have thick and stocky seedlings by the time they are ready to move out into the garden. Good luck with your project!