The Q&A Archives: Slow Perennials

Question: Last summer I bought 4 Oriental poppies from Burpee, planted them in the early fall when I received them and achieved a bit of low greenery. Shouldn't they be up and a little bushy by now? My daffodils are almost done and my tulips are just coming into their own (your 24 bulb collection - they're beautiful!).

The same is true of the 3 cyclamen that I ordered. Nothing. When do I expect them to show up?

Answer: Oh, my! Be a bit patient! They may still be shaking the sleep out of their eyes from their long winter's nap. I'm not exactly sure where your poppies might be "climate-wise" could be that you're in a little cooler place, like a lwo spot where frost settles. See if you can find someone else in your neighborhood that has poppies and see where the poppies they have are in comparison to yours--are they in a bright, warm spot? THEN decide whether yours are late or not.

I'd wait a little longer on the cyclamen. This early spring weather may have us fooled, but the plants know when to emerge!