The Q&A Archives: Pesky Garden Pests

Question: This is my first year as a veggie gardener and am concerned about the rabbits in our neighborhood getting to my raised bed garden. What product(s) do you recommend to help with that? I've heard moth balls they? Any other suggestions?

Answer: Moth balls don't really deter hungry rabbits and they are not safe to use in a vegetable garden. About the only long-term solution is to fence your garden with chicken wire, burying it a good 12 inches into the soil. You can make hoop frames out of PVC pipe and drape the wire over, attaching it to the hoops. When you bury the ends, make an "L" shape with the end pointing away from the garden. This method makes weeding difficult so be sure to mulch your bed with 3-4 inches of organic matter to help suppress weeds. Best of luck with your garden this season!