The Q&A Archives: weeds in ice plant

Question: I have a slope covered by red apple ice plant-Aptenia cordifolia. I did all of the pre-weeding prevention such as putting down weed prevatnion cloth. I still have a big problem. I cehcked on using PREEN but it was contraindicated. Can you suggest any weed-killer that would kill the broad leaf weeds without killing the ice plant.

Answer: The Apentia belongs to a family of plants called Aizoaceae which is classified as a 'dicot'. This plant can actually be hurt by products like Ortho Weed-Be-Gon (which target dicots as opposed to grasses which are monocots). Don't use broadleaf weed control products as Apentia is also a broadleaf plant.

Unfortunately, there are no home owner approved herbicides which selectively targets monocots (grasses) and leave dicots (broadleaf plants).

I recommend mulching in between the iceplants with a 1-2" layer of shredded hardwood mulch. This should keep the weeds to a minimum. Wish I had better news for you!