The Q&A Archives: Alberta Spruce Topiary Problem

Question: I have two 5-foot lollipop Alberta Spruce Topiaries that were planted at the end of the summer last year in front of a house facing east in Brooklyn, NY. They are planted 5 feet apart and about two months ago the one closest to the steps started having brown limbs and pine needles falling off. What do you think could be the problem with it? The bottom & middle lollipopshave most of the browning

Answer: There are many different possible causes for your tree to look as though it is drying out. Unfortunately it is very difficult to diagnose long distance because it could be several different insects, different diseases, or even a root problem or an environmental problem. Since the affected ones are planted closest to your steps, I wonder if you used salt to deice the steps? If so, the salt may have runoff into the soil and is causing the symptoms. Wish I could offer more help.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"