The Q&A Archives: Blue Mist Shrub Hardiness

Question: I saw in some magazine a pretty blue shrub called Blue-Mist Shrub or caryopteris. Is this hardy in central Michigan and if it is what are its requirements?

Answer: Serendipity! I just ordered this plant for my garden. Blue Mist Spirea (Caryopteris clandonensis) is a good four season shrub. Traditionally, it is grown in the garden and cut down annually. It has a twiggy, loosely round form with narrow, lance shaped, slightly toothed grayish green leaves that are silvery on the reverse side. The flowers are in fact misty and soft blue in color. Reportedly, they last well into late summer. Seedheads are also attractive and persist into winter. This shrub grows 2-4' tall, appreciates good drainage, and can even tolerate dry soil. Position it in full sun. It is hardy in zones 5-9....and, you are in zone 5 so you should be able to grow this shrub. If winters get particularly fierce, you may want to offer some winter protection. You can obtain this shrub from The Garden Store at 1-800-582-8649.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"