The Q&A Archives: Cauliflower

Question: I planted potted cauliflower 6 weeks ago. They grew very well. Plenty of leaves 12-15 inches long. But no head (cauliflower). What am I doing wrong. BTW, the broccoli I planted the same time is producing plenty. Thanks in advance, Karin.

Answer: I think the timing is wrong for your cauliflower. Cauliflower is primarily a cool-weather crop and won't produce heads in hot weather. Most cultivars need about two months of cool weather to mature. Cauliflower requires constant moisture to produce large, tender heads; soil that dries out between waterings will cause heads to open up and become "ricey". Use a thick layer of compost or organic mulch to cut down on evaporation of moisture from the soil, keep weeds at a minimum, and cool the soil. Provide at least one inch of water per week, soaking the soil to a depth of six inches, to wet the entire root mass. Try planting your cauliflower in December or January for a March harvest.