The Q&A Archives: Ilex, Salix, Sambucus

Question: in a drier location? I really like that bush and hate to give it up. Along a diferent line, my dieffenbachia gets large yellow dried-up looking zones along the edges of the leaves. I reduced feeding, but don't know if that is going to stop it from doing same. New leaves look OK. I have to run to class now, but would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much. Monte Albert

Answer: Hi there. It sounds like you need to "chat" with your neighbor about that sump pump line running to the low area. After that situation is rememdied, try the Ilex and Salix plants in that area. Yes, the Sambucus would like a drier location. The driedzones on the leaf margins of your dieffenbachia could be due to too much water. Try cutting back a bit, or repotting the plant if it hasn't been repotted in a few years.