The Q&A Archives: Perennials and Annuals that Slugs Will Not Eat

Question: Hello, Will you please write for our Anchorage, AK 99517 climate: Many Perennials and Annuals that slugs will not eat and will not even go near? We already know how to get rid of slugs. Have you added Anchorage to your HOME DEPOT map yet? Thank you for your kind help! It is appreciated by my husband, neighbors, and me!! Sincerely, Ann

Answer: There are some plants that slugs won't bother: Almost any plant with hairy leaves (such as sages and salvias), Ferns (surround hostas with ferns to protect them),
Astrantia, Bergenia, Bleeding heart (Dicentra), Catmint (Nepeta), Columbines (Aquilegia), Corydalis lutea, Eryngium, Euphorbia, Foxgloves (Digitalis), Hardy fuchsias, Hardy geraniums, Lungwort (Pulmonaria), Meadow rue (Thalictrum),
Phlox ,Phormium, Poppies, Ornamental grasses, Rudbeckia, Salvias, Sedums and
Yucca. There are probably more - you may have to do some trial and error in your own garden.

I think Home Depot is working on adding Alaska to the map. Just be patient! Best wishes with your garden!