The Q&A Archives: Bark peeling off trunk of my Dogwood Trees

Question: I have 3 dogwoods that I planted 3 years ago and last year I noticed part of the bark peeling off and exposing the next layer of tree. I have Red Bud trees planted close and no problem with them. Is this the nature of Dogwoods? Can I wrap they with something to keep from harms way. I have no dogs or anything like that. The peeling is on trunk & 6 in. from the ground and 6 to 8 in. long.

Answer: The bark of dogwoods is very thin and susceptible to damage - usually sunscald or winter cracking. If the trees are in other respects healthy, they will callous over the injuries. Rather than wrap the damaged areas, which could slow the healing process, you might consider placing a sunshade over the lower part of the trunk until your dogwoods mature a bit. These sunshades are are strips of plastic with holes punched in them - usually sold to protect citrus tree trunks from sun damage. They are sold in rolls. Just unroll around the trunk to keep sunshine from causing cracks and splits. Best wishes with your dogwoods.