The Q&A Archives: Creeping Charlie

Question: I have creeping charlie every where in my lawn and so do my neighbors. How do I get rid of this stuff for good? Also I heard creeping charlie was planted as a filler years ago. Is that true?

Answer: Creeping charlie is still available in some nurseries - if you can believe that! Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) can be a real pest. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to their lawn. The boron doesn't affect the grass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply in May when the weather starts to warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results. Give it a try - you may have good results, too.