The Q&A Archives: Swamp Coolers for Greenhouses

Question: My 8 x 12 foot greenhouse simply gets too hot in the summer time. I have a large exhaust fan, shade cloth and a humidifier. I still cannot get the temp down. I have seen misters advertised and they seem to work wonders around the swimming pools inLas Vegas! If I install a system will it cool the greenhouse or will I end up with both hot air and high humidity? On hot days the humidifier I now have cannot get the greenhouse past about 25%.

Answer: Check around for sources of swamp coolers , the cooling system of choice among professional greenhouse growers of choice in hot regions. The system works by pulling outside air through running water (over excelsior pads) and cooling it as it does so. Check your yellow pages for greenhouse suppliers, wholesale nurseries (for contacts), etc. Just applying moist air to your house will, indeed, keep the temp up.