The Q&A Archives: Frostbitten annuals

Question: I just bought some Martha Washington Geraniums yesterday at Home Depot..and they must have gotten frost bitten (still in pots) last night!!! They were on the south side of the house, on the deck, I was thinking protected by the deck bench..but they are all wilted now...sigh! I brought them inside..what can I do! help! Thanks

Answer: How sad for your geraniums. I think they will be okay, though, if you keep them in a cool place (such as a garage). In the house they might get too warm so put them in a garden shed or garage or unheated basement until the weather warms up. Don't cut off the damaged foliage just yet but watch for new leaves to develop from the center of the plant. Once that happens you can safely prune off the dead leaves. Best wishes with your plants!