The Q&A Archives: Dogwood

Question: I have a dogwood planted about 35 years ago that has ceased to blossom. Good strong foliage but no blossoms. Nothing has changed. Why! JWK

Answer: There are several reasons for failure to bloom, two related to temperature and one to fertilizer. Many Dogwoods fail to set buds due to an imbalance of nutrients in the soil. Too much nitrogen can cause this, as can a lack of potassium and phosphorous. I would use a bloom booster fertilizer this spring (low nitrogen, high phosphorous and potassium) to aid in flower formation. Temperature becomes rather important in a cooler climate as Dogwoods prefer warmth during the day and like night time cooling to set buds. And, if the flower buds have formed but you get a late frost, that could stop flowering, as well. Wish I had more to offer!