The Q&A Archives: Gardening in Mexico

Question: We have taken a job in Mexico. I will be responsible for the garden!! I am wondering if you have any "words from the wise" about gardening in Mexico? I will be at 5000 feet elevation and inland. I understand that most seed companies don't even ship to Mexico, but I can take some seeds with me and I can have more brought from the states peridoically. I am familiar with container gardening, but this will be my first time with a large piece of land to work with.

Thank you, in advance, for any information or revelant web sites that you can provide. If you know if any books that would be useful, that would be great.

Answer: Sounds like a terrific opportunity to learn new gardening techniques! Here are two internet sites that might be helpful:
This is from New Mexico State University, but the information should apply to gardening in Mexico as well.
The second site is a cooperative venture between the U. S. and Mexico and stresses gardening, and nutrition:
Good luck in your new venture!