The Q&A Archives: Hyacinths

Question: I just planted hyacinths for the first time this year in containers. I have a few questions. First, do they need to be in alot of sun and little shade or lot of shade and little sun? Do they continue to bloom in the summer and fall. How do I cut back flower stalks and will they come back? Sorry, I'm clueless all info. would be so helpful.

Answer: Hyacinths will flower in containers so planting them in containers is fine. They will produce foliage and a flower stalk. When the flower dies you can cut off the flowering stalk but you will want to allow the leaves to die down on their own. The leaves transport energy to the bulb for the next year's floral display. Hyacinths flower only once and then they rest until the next spring so you will only get one floral display from your hyacinth bulb. But they are very pretty and very fragrant. Enjoy!