The Q&A Archives: lemon grass

Question: Where can I buy lemon grass, looked up in library and has nothing about this grass for tea.

Answer: Lemongrass is easy to grow from seed, but if you find some at the grocery or specialty store, choose a stalk with a few roots still attached and you can put that in water and root it there to be transplanted into the garden later. I actually saw some Lemongrass starts at the garden center this spring, so hopefully in the near future, Lemongrass starts will be more widely available everywhere. Lemongrass prefers a sandy-type soil, but likes the soil evenly moist, so a good layer of mulch is a must for this plant. A bog type situation also works well for Lemongrass. Lemongrass is not frost-hardy, so in the colder climates it should be dug and potted to be grown indoors in a sunny window for the winter. Use it in chicken and seafood dishes, curries, casseroles, soups, and stews. Ground stalks can be added directly to dishes. It can be frozen, dried, or used fresh. You can purchase seeds from Henry Fields ( or from organic supermarkets.