The Q&A Archives: Crane Flies

Question: I had gallanappers all over the place late last summer and fall. How do I control them this year?

Answer: Crane flies are generally beneficial two-winged flies that look a bit like large mosquitoes. Despite their somewhat scary appearance, they don't bite, suck blood, or carry diseases. In fact the adults are harmless and rather comical as they bounce around the landscape and off interior walls. They are also an important food source for birds and other critters. The aquatic larvae of many crane flies are indicators of good stream health, and become fish food. Other crane flies are decomposers and help break down decaying organic matter.

You can control them by treating your lawn with Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer R-T-S or Ortho BugBGon Max Insect Killer for Lawns. Apply according to label directions.