The Q&A Archives: freeze

Question: I have 12 fruit trees 4 peach, 4 pear, 4 apple. I planted them 2 weeks ago. today is sunday and warm Monday night it is droping into the hight 20- low 30 for 2 nights. the days will be in the 40-50.they are flowering. can i gently put a large garbage bag over each one till its over. I do have an ind. kerrosean heater with a fan but it uses a lot of fuel

Answer: Although the trees will survive a frost, the flowers and leaf buds may not. This means no fruit this year. Plastic bags are not thick enough to protect them from freezing temperatures but a sheet or pillow case or even an old blanket will help. Or your garden center probably has frost blankets you can purchase. These are lightweight insulated squares of fabric which will protect plants from frost. Hope the freeze is short and your trees don't suffer too much damage!