The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Tulips

Question: I recently received some tulips and would like to transplant them into my garden. When is the best time to transplant them?

Answer: Lifted bulbs may be reset in a new bed immediately, or they may be stored for the fall planting.

The first or second week in June is a good time to remove tulip bulbs from the soil. Carefully lift the plants and shake them free of dirt, taking care not to snap off the stems/leaves. The new bulbs need the nourishment stored in the stem. Never expose tulip bulbs to direct rays of the sun.

In an empty spot in your garden, dig a trench and lay the bulbs in it covering them with about 6 inches of soil allowing the stems to remain exposed to the sun. After a week or two when the stems have turned yellow, remove them. Spread them out to dry on a flat surface in the shade. Set them in a warm, dry place. The attic or garage is excellent. They must be kept completely dry to prevent rotting.

In the autumn, plant them!