The Q&A Archives: quack grass

Question: how do i rid my lawn of quack or barnyard grass without killing the rest of my lawn???

Answer: You must be aggressive in dealing with quackgrass, since it is aggressive in your yard. Unfortunately, there are no selective herbicides for quackgrass and with its rhizomatous root system, it is almost impossible to pull. The only real alternative in dealing with quackgrass is killing it with a nonselective herbicide such as Roundup or Finale. Keep in mind that these herbicides will kill anything with leaves, so apply them carefully.

Quackgrass, like crabgrass, leaves thousands of seeds in the lawn for the new season. Pre-emergence herbicides, such as crabgrass preventers, will inhibit germination of quackgrass seed. Such seeds germinate as the soil temperature reaches around 55-60 degrees in spring, so timely application is important.