The Q&A Archives: Overseeding Bare Spots

Question: Not sure if this email got sent, so sending again. Hello, I have a lawn with big bare spots from leaves left on the ground through the winter (under the snow). When is the earliest I can plant grass,(what temp.) and can I just put some topsoil down, plant seeds, then a thin layer of topsoil, and then straw? I'm too old to rake everything first! Thanks for your help. Gloria Wagner

Answer: Since the leaves have probably decomposed over the winter, your plan to put topsoil down, plant seeds and then lightly cover with soil or compost is a good one. I wouldn't put down straw - just compost or topsoil will be fine. Grass seeds germinate fastest when the soil is warm (70F) but they will also germinate at soil temperatures of 50F. It will just take a little longer. Best wishes with your turf!