The Q&A Archives: Drooping Gerbera Daisies

Question: I recently purchased a plant with three gerbera daisies from a grocery store. In the store they stood tall and looked healthy. I have since placed the pot in a hanging basket on my patio. It is not in direct sunlight nor is it in the shade. The problem is they droop during the day and then seem to perk up after watering. I began watering them daily around 7:30 a.m. to give them enough moisture so they wouldn't droop in the afternoon. Each afternoon however they are drooping. If I water them again in the afternoon, they perk up. Are they still getting to hot? Should I place them in more shade?

Part of the problem might be that the plant was originally grow in a greenhouse, with perfect temperature and humidity, and it's having a difficult time adjusting to its new home. Gerbera daisies are fussy about watering. They need a thorough soaking and then the soil should dry out before they're watered again. Try not to splash water on the crown of the plant.

Gerbera daisies like the night time temperature to be about 60F degrees, and the daytime temperature about 75F, so move yours if it's too warm where you have it. The plant will take full morning sunshine, but appreciates some afternoon shade. If the flowers continue to droop, or when they begin to shrivel, cut them off and allow the plant to produce new flowers. By then it will have become acclimated to its new home and be able to sustain the newly developed flowers.