The Q&A Archives: Azaleas

Question: MY red formosa azaleas leaves are pale green and have been for years. They are in a mulched garden near a large pine tree. I have treated them with cofee grounds, epsom salts and iron pellets. They are well-watered and close to pink formosas that have very green leaves. What else should I do?

Answer: I think a soil test is in order. Azaleas grow best in acidic soils and the iron should have helped green up the foliage. Coffee grounds are a source of nitrogen and epsom salts a source of magnesium. Try of foliar spray of an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid and have your soil tested so you know what you're working with. A soil test will identify missing or excessive minerals as well as pH. Good luck with your azaleas!