The Q&A Archives: Zoya grass

Question: My neighbor has Zoya grass, how do I get rid of this Zoya grass that is spreading into my lawn? If there a way to get rid of it and once it's gone, how do I keep it from coming back

Answer: Zoysia grass spreads quickly into surrounding areas and is difficult to control. You will need to wait for it to resprout and then treat it with an herbicide such as glyphosate in order to kill it. You may have to apply it more than once while the grass is actively growing because the underground portions store a great deal of energy. Be careful to follow the label instructions and be patient, because it takes some time for the chemical to translocate to the roots where it does the job. You may also wish to install an impermeable barrier or a cleanly cut edge of bare soil (like a moat) to keep it from coming back across the property line again. Glyphosate herbicides will kill all vegetation it touches so keep it off your lawn as much as possible and expect to have to dig up the dead lawn and replant after the zoysia is gone.