The Q&A Archives: large area of weeds

Question: We cleared trees from a large area a year ago. We have shallow rooted various weeds that have taken over our mulch. We pulled the weeds by the root last year and they are back again this year. I am using too much roundup and the weed killer we used last year didn't help. We don't want to use landscape fabric. It is a very large area. Can you help?

Answer: I'd dig out the current weeds and use a pre emergent weed killer. There are several on the market and the one you choose will depend upon what desireable plants are in the area. Preen is good for perennial gardens, Combat (a corn gluten based product) is good on lawns. While pre emergence products will keep weed seeds from germinating, they won't take care of the current weeds. You'll also want to get something planted in the area - weeds love vacant lots and bare areas in landscapes!