The Q&A Archives: picking a tree

Question: What should I look for when picking out a small tree to plant in my yard? I am considering a Dogwood,or cherry bloosum type. I currently have two mid. size maples.

Answer: Mature size is probably the most important consideration, followed by shape of the canopy plus whether or not you want a flowering tree. Dogwoods grow best in shaded sites but will take some morning sun; ornamental cherry trees need full sunshine; purple leaf plums flower in the spring and are quite attractive because of their purple leaf color. If the area is shady, Japanese maples will thrive and there are many cultivars, most are small in size. So, choose a tree that will grow in the sunlight/shade your property has to offer and choose the one that appeals most to you. Enjoy your new tree~