The Q&A Archives: Birds In Cherry Trees

Question: My father has a dwarf cherry tree that has grown to be pretty big. He cannot seem to keep the birds from eating the cherries. It's too big to put netting over, and he tried hanging pie pans on the branches. A neighbor suggest hanging a stuffed owl and or squirrel in the tree. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Answer: Well, I wish I had better news. Just about the only effective way to keep birds from getting at your fruit is with netting, and alas, this isn't an option for your father. There are the old standbys such as hanging aluminum pie pans from the branches, metallic reflective tape, wind chimes, and fake owls. These do work for some folks on some birds. Some people have also had some success with planting mulberries as a "trap" crop. Birds like them better than cherries in most cases. However, make sure you have varieties of cherry and mulberry that ripen at the same time or you will simply be providing a two course meal.