The Q&A Archives: nutgrass

Question: I have just tilled my yard and would lile to plant bermuda.I see lots of nutgrass comeing up.Can i use image and still plant seed.

Answer: Nutgrass is actually a sedge that spreads by small underground tubers (nuts), so just pulling the top green portion doesn't eliminate it. You can dig it out, taking care to get all the tubers. An herbicide with the active ingredient Glyphosate will kill it with repeated applications probably needed, but read the label carefully to make sure the product is indeed formulated for nutgrass (or sedges). Follow instructions exactly. Glyphosate can drift and kill any nearby plants as well. Image will control nutgrass but you can't plant seeds for 4-6 weeks after application.