The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Hedge for Zone 3

Question: I am trying to find a fast growing, evergreen hedge that will survive Wyoming winters. The FAQ gives mixed answers on whether Ligustrum amurense is evergreen or not. Would it, or Gurney's Tallhedge be an option for me? My wife would like something that would be dense enough to manicure into a squarish shape, and would only tolerate juniper if you know of a dense variety she could do this to.

Answer: Right next to Tallhedge (which isn't evergreen) in the Gurney's catalog is juniper, and Gurney's claims it's "Best as a hedge at 5 feet...Comes in thick and requires little shearing to stay dense." I also recommend looking locally at nurseries, since locally-grown stock is most likely to be hardy in your area. Yew is another option - it grows like crazy and is easily sheared to shape. Again, check with local suppliers first. As for privet (L. amurense), it is evergreen in the warmer reaches of its range, but not in the north. I hope this helps!