The Q&A Archives: Evergreens for Privacy

Question: Hi, I would like to plant my semi-wooded fenceline with dense plants for screening. I wanted an evergreen treeline (like colorado spruce, douglas fir or other traditional christmas tree shapes) but it is somewhat shaded, and these might get too large. I want the plants to stay green all year round for privacy. maybe dwarf conifers or rhodies?? what are my options? Thanks, Erika

Answer: There are a few evergreen trees that can be pruned to remain bushy, and provide year 'round privacy. Consider Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (Lawson cypress) Prunus laurocerasus (English laurel) Thuja occidentalis 'Pyramidalis' (pyramidal arborvitae), or Tsuga canadensis (Canada hemlock). If you'd rather have broadleaf evergreens, Buxus (boxwood), Euonymus or Ligustrum (privets) should work well in your gardening region. Male holly shrubs will not produce berries, and make attractive hedges, as well. Rhodies will work in the area if you prefer to have spring flowers.