The Q&A Archives: flower bed

Question: I would like to build a flower bed in a corner of my yard tell me and when to start.

Answer: Your question is unclear to me. You can create a new flower bed by removing existing vegetation, spreading organic matter such as compost or aged manure over the top of the soil and digging it in. Or, you can build a raised bed. It isn't necessary to use wood or concrete blocks to build a raised bed - you can simply mound up the soil, tapering it at the edges. If you're purchasing soil to fill the beds, order a 3-way mix. It will have compost, sand and garden soil which is a perfect growing media for raised beds. It's still too early in the season to start planting. Wait until about the first week of May when all danger of frost has passed. Best wishes with your project!