The Q&A Archives: Damage grass from pet dog

Question: I own a female Labrador who urinated in the front yarn how do I recovery my yawn from this stain?

Answer: Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into the area. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. Consider also giving the dog his/her own area and fencing it in while you enjoy the rest of the lawn.