The Q&A Archives: lawn

Question: I have a back yard in East Boston. I't all bumpy and gross. Most of it is weeds. A few years ago I had sod put down and it look good for a couple of years. Now I want to reseed the whole yard. What do I have to do.

Answer: Start by removing the weeds. Either dig them out roots and all or use a chemical. There are several types of weed killer products for lawns, as well as weed and feed products. After the weeds are dead (usually 2-3 weeks), spread some top soil over the low spots. Then reseed the entire lawn. If you still have low spots later in the summer, add more topsoil, a half inch at a time and allow the grass to grow through the topsoil. Add more in half inch increments and eventually you will have a level lawn. Good luck with your project!