The Q&A Archives: Care of Lamb's Ears

Question: Last summer, I bought some Lamb's Ears to fill in around other plants. My kids loved how soft they feel! I didn't do anything with them in the fall and now they are a mass of dried up leaves with new ones poking up through them. Should I have cut them off? Can I pull out the dead stuff with out hurting the new growth?

Answer: Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina) is a perennial plant that thrives in the sunshine and is especially fun for children to touch because the leaves are soft and furry. It's a sturdy plant that comes back each year. Cut or pull the old leaves off to allow the new leaves some growing room. I usually wait until frost hits and then clean the old leaves off the plant, but you can do it now, too.