The Q&A Archives: Starting a new garden

Question: I want a few rose bushes in the front yard and what else would look nice I prefer Periannuals instead of flowers that bloom annuuals - my husband does not like shrubs. the groiud is hard and very sandy both in the fron and the back - ANy suggestions please

Answer: The first step to getting your garden to thrive in heat and dry condition (which I assume you have) is to make sure your beds have plenty of organic matter before planting. After planting, cover the beds with several inches of organic mulch such as shredded leaves, clean straw or compost. Here are a few suggestions for plants that withstand hot, dry, sunny conditions:
Autumn sage (Salvia greggii), Baby sun/sunray coreopsis (Coreopsis grandiflora),
Bearded iris (Iris xiphioides), Blue plumbago (Plumbago auriculata), Bouncing bet (Sapinaria officinalis), Cigar plant (Cuphea micropetala) Daylily (Hemerocallis),
Firebush (Hamelia patens), Garden canna (Canna x generalis ), Goldsturm rudbeckia (Rudbeckia x goldsturm), Hinckley's columbine (Aquilegia hinckleyana), Indian blanket (Gaillardia sp.), Lantana , Louisiana iris, Salvia, Coreopsis, verbena and purple coneflower.

Good luck with your garden.