The Q&A Archives: Potting Soil and in-ground Planting

Question: I probably bought way too much Scotts potting soil the other day. I'm getting some Brugmansia, etc. for containers, but wondered if I could use some of the extra potting soil for direct in-ground planting (e.g., roses, lavender, trumpet vine). I normally use 1/3 soil conditioner with 2/3 native soil. I know potting soil is suppose to drain faster, but we get plenty of rain or I water. Thanks!

Answer: You can certainly mix the potting soil in with your garden soil but you might also just seal up the packages and store them for another time. Potting soil will last for a long time and someday you may want to add more containers to your collection or repot the plants you already have in your containers. If you do incorporate the potting soil into your garden, your formula of 3:1 is fine. Best wishes with your garden.