The Q&A Archives: New Lawn Installation

Question: My new lawn will slope 2ft over 20ft. How do I keep the seed from washing away until it gets established? Also, I added a 20in. base of good draining fill then four inches of loam on top. I loosened loam with a roto tiller then put Scotts Starter Fertilizer then Scotts Contractor Blend seed (to

Answer: I think you've done everything right. Just be careful in watering until the grass sprouts. Once the roots have established, the ground will not erode. Watering lightly several times a day will encourage seed germination and quick coverage of the bare slope. I would hand water rather then set a sprinkler up until the grass is established, just to avoid having excess water make little rivulets in the soil as it runs down the slope. Best wishes with your new lawn.