The Q&A Archives: poa grass

Question: We just bought a new home. The lawn has not been properly cared for in the past year, and now has poa grass growing in spots all over the place. I know that the best time to try to get rid of it is in the fall, but is there anything I can do now?

Answer: A pre emergent is the best control for poa annua but it's too late in the season to apply. Other than hand digging, you may have to wait until the weather gets really hot and then withhold water from your lawn. It takes about 10 days of drought, and your lawn will get crispy brown, but the annual bluegrass will die out. When it does, turn on the water again and soak it for a few days. The Poa will not survive the hot drought, while the St. Augustine should bounce back just fine. Not many options at this point - you may just want to live with it this year and use a pre emergent next season to stop it from ever appearing. Best wishes with your new home!