The Q&A Archives: "Dallas" grass

Question: I have a green blade-type grass in my lawn that I call crab grass, but was told that it is somethong called

Answer: You will really need to positively identify the weed before you can control it. Dallas Grass is a tall South American perennial grass (Paspalum dilatatum) grown for pasturage in the southern United States. It is a bunching grass. Crabgrass is a low, creeping grass that spreads by stolons. Not all herbicides are effective against all weeds so identifying the problem weed is really important. Take a sample to your local cooperative extension office, Master Gardener Clinic or even a well staffed nursery. Helpful folks there can identify the weed and suggest controls, based upon the type of turfgrass you are growing.