The Q&A Archives: Shade

Question: I would like to have flower beds around the front of my home, but the area is mostly shaded. It does get the very early morning sun but that is it. What kind of flowers and shrubs would work well in shaded area for my zone?

Answer: There are many plants that will thrive in a shady area. Consider the following flowering perennials: Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle), Astilbe (Meadowsweet), Anemone, Aruncus (Goatsbeard), Brunnera (Siberian Bugloss), Campanula (Bellflower), Chrysogonum (Goldenstar), Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Cimicfuga (Bugbane), Filipendula (Queen of the Prairie), Helleborus (Christmas Rose), Hemerocallis (Day Lily), Heuchera (Coralbells), Siberian Iris, Mertensia (Virginia Bluebells), Polygonatum (Great Solomon's Seal), Primula (Primrose), Trillium Grandiflorum (Wakerobin), Lysimachia (Gooseneck Loosestrife), and Pulmonaria (Lungwort). You can also try many, many varieties of Hosta. Groundcovers such as Ajuga, Pachysandra, and European Ginger would also be suitable.