The Q&A Archives: Holly In Containers

Question: I would like to grow my own holly for christmas. Do you think it would be possible to keep a male and female holly bush in seperate pots all year long? Keeping them outside in summer and bring them in in fall. I have grow lights available in a rather cool basement. I suppose I would need to keep the plants pruned quite short.
Do you think it would work?

Answer: You can grow the dwarf-type holly in containers, but holly would not be especially happy living indoors. If you plant a male and female you'll have berries on the female that you can cut and use for holiday decoration. Or, you could bring the plant indoors for a few weeks during the holidays. But plan on letting the plants live outdoors both winter and summer, or they'll sulk and not perform as you expect.