The Q&A Archives: dogwood tree

Question: Hi, we purchased a dogwood tree from Home Depot 3/30/08. This Spring I am not seeing any signs of life & I am afraid it may be dead. When does the dogwood start showing growth in the Spring. We live in Ocean County NJ.
Thank you.

Answer: I think it's a little too early in the season to be too concerned. Give it another few weeks to spring to life. If it is not showing any bud swelling on the branches by the end of April, you can cut a branch tip off and look for green tissue in the center of the stem or branch. Green tissue indicates live tissue; if it's brown inside, that part of the branch is dead. Continue to cut the branch back until you find green tissue. If you find none, there's not much hope for the tree. Let's hope for the best!