The Q&A Archives: Boggy Land

Question: Hello
my parents own 2 1/2 acres of completely wooded land. the woods surround the house and lay lower than the house itself. every mid-fall to late spring/early summer the woods flood and water just stands there and becomes stagnant (malaria ground zero) any ideas on how to fix this issue? Thanks!!

Answer: I think the first order of business is to determine where the water is coming from. If it is runoff from the roof of the house, you may be able to redirect the water through curtain drains. If the excess water is not from the house but from the surrounding forest, there's not much you can do other than regrading - which might be impossible given the fact that it is a wooded lot. Your local conservation district might have some viable solutions for you. Contact them through your county government offices. I hope they have some additional ideas. Wish I could offer more. Best wishes with your property!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"