The Q&A Archives: Vegtables

Question: I just planted a new garden mostly from seeds. I noticed that my cucumber plants have white dots on them. What is causing the white dots and what can I do?

Answer: White dots on the leaves might simply be sunscald but it could also indicate powdery mildew or angular leaf spot. You'll need to investigate further. If the dots are dead tissue, and on the upper most leaves, it is probably sunscald due to water drops being on the foliage in the hot sunshine. If the dots have a powdery coating, it is a fungal infection called powdery mildew. If the dots grow in size and become angular in shape, it's a disease called angular leaf spot, which is fatal to the plant. If you determine the spots are sunscald, there's nothing you need to do except keep water off the leaves when you water your plants. If it's powdery mildew, pinch off the affected leaves so the fungal spores don't spread to other healthy leaves. Hope it's nothing serious!