The Q&A Archives: Help with Navel orange tree

Question: 1.5 year ago I bought a navel orange tree..and it has not grow anything..a month ago was full of little white flowers but now it lost them all, and some small branches are turning brown and loosing their leaves... I am not sure how much to water it...Please Help!!
Thank you. :-)

Answer: If your citrus tree is not behaving as expected, it may be that it is the wrong cultivar for your regon, or some environmental factor is affecting performance. Let's consider some of the other things that might affect the production of fruit: Citrus trees need full sunshine, ample water, occasional feeding, and warm winter temperatures. Bottom line: having your soil tested would give you some concrete answers about the availability of micronutrients. Both leaf and fruit buds can develop at the same time. If winter temperatures are cold enough to damage some, but not all of the buds, you'll end up with more leaves than fruit (trees need leaves to manufacture sugars for growth and fruit development). You can help overcome this habit by pruning back hard to encourage new wood that should produce the right combination of leaves and fruit. You'll lose production for a year, but once your tree gets into the correct cycle, the fruit it bears should be of a better quality. As for watering, ne way to check if your watering schedule is correct is to dig down 6 inches, about mid-way between the trunk and the drip-line. If the soil sample sticks together after squeezing in your hand, then you do not need to water for another week. This check will help you in establishing the correct watering schedule for your trees.

Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"