The Q&A Archives: English Garden

Question: I am in the process of starting an english garden. I have some plants but need more. I have hydragenas, foxglove, day lillys and some roses, what else can i use and how do i plant them meaning the lay out of the proper english garden.

Answer: The "English Garden" is a vague concept, but the mental picture often includes annuals such as pansies and sweet peas plus perennials such as dianthus, campanulas, foxgloves and delphiniums, mixed with peonies, roses, clematis vines, a flowering fruit tree, and so on, perhaps in a formal bed edged in boxwood or clipped yew. There are as many types of English gardens as there are American gardens, so there is no official list. You might try a websearch for English Gardens or Cottage Gardens and base your design on some of those you find. Whatever the design, enjoy your garden!