The Q&A Archives: Heat-Tolerant Annuals

Question: I live in USDA zone 9 with extremely hot summers. I have some fairly large daffodil beds. Can you suggest some annuals that I can put in the beds to hide the daffodils once they stop blooming? When can I cut the daffodils back? Susan W. Riverisde, CA

Answer: Here are a list of perennials that will survive the climate of Florida: Asclepis tuberousa (butterfly weed), canna, chrysanthemum x superbum (Shasta Daisy), Chrysanthemum morifolium (mums), Dietes, Gerbera, hedychiium (ginger lily), daylilies, iris, physostegia virginiana 'vivid' (obedient plant), rudbeckia laciniata 'Golden Glow' (Blackeyed Susan-6 ft), salvia azurea, salvia fainacea (mealycup sage), stokesia laevis, verbena.Consult your local nursery for more ideas!